HistoryCalvary's History In Serving Pella
During the summer of 1955, fifty-four families attended services in the Pella Christian Grade School under the supervision of the First Christian Reformed Church. In September 1955, a petition to proceed with the organization was signed by fifty-seven families and seven individuals and presented to Classis Pella. Permission was granted to proceed with the organization under the guidance of the First and Second Christian Reformed Churches.
On July 11, 1957, the cornerstone for the new church building was laid. A dedication service took place on May 28, 1958. A new parsonage was constructed adjacent to the church property in 1963.
Calvary Church helped guide the organization of the Faith Church in Pella, in 1968, and the Trinity Church at St. Louis, Missouri, in 1969. Calvary Church along with Faith Church helped guide the organization of Grace Fellowship in Pella. Through the years, Calvary has also contributed to the support of many missionaries both locally and worldwide.
We presently have three Pastors on Staff: Rev. Brad Bierma, Minister of Worship; Rev. Sheldon Starkenburg, Minister of Congregational Life & Outreach; Rev. Nate Klingenberg, Minister of Youth Ministries. These ministers with the help of the Holy Spirit and a host of other people keep the ministry of Calvary Church alive.
God has multiplied our prayers and gifts in many ways! We read in Romans 12:4-8, “Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man’s gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of other, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.” All praise to the Lord for the gifts and blessings He has given Calvary Church over the past 65 years!